Asian Redtailed Catfish (Hemibagrus wyckioides)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Asian Redtailed Catfish
1703 Litres (450 US G.)
88.9-101.6cm (35-40 ")
6.0 - 7.6
18.9-28.9°C (66 -84 °F)
- Asian Redtailed Catfish
Additional scientific names
- Macrones wyckioides, Mystus wyckioides
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Asia: Mekong basin.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males possess a genital papilla just before the anal fin.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Must be kept one to an enormous tank with NO tank mates. It will eat fish smaller than itself, and fish larger may have chunks bitten out of it. Best in public aquaria only.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will generally eat anything that will fit in it's mouth. Feed with meaty foods such as fish and shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- It should only be fed once every two to four days once over 30.5cm (12") long.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Must have a very large tank with bogwood and rock décor. Any heaters and filters must be kept in protective casing as this fish is capable of biting through a heater.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Highly aggressive predatory catfish, is even said to be one of the most aggressive freshwater fish in the world!
Identification[edit | edit source]
- An elongated large catfish with broad flat head and large mouth the caudal fin is whole or partially red-coloured. The body is grey with a pale belly.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )