Red Empress (Protomelas taeniolatus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
208 Litres (55 US G.)
12.7-15.2cm (5-6 ")
7.5 - 8.5
24 -26 °C (75.2-78.8°F)
- Spindle Hap, Haplochromis Red Empress
- Endemic to Lake Malawi.
- The male has a red body with blue head, the female is grey.
- This fish is a Mouth Brooder. Males can be aggressive during breeding to the point of killing a disinterested female. Males will claim and defend a large territory during this time.
- Fairly peaceful for an African Cichlid, should be kept with similar Malawi Cichlids, peaceful Mbuna and Synodontis catfish.
- Feed quality flakes and pellets, spirulina and supplement the diet with blanched vegetables.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Provide with hiding places/caves. Prefers a tank with a lot of rockwork.
- Typical African Cichlid when breeding. Enjoys digging in gravel or sand.
- An attractive elongate oval fish that is vivid blue around the head with hints of red and green through the body. The dorsal fin is edged in white.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )