American Water Weed (Cabomba aquatica)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Canadian Pond Weed)
Alternative Names[edit | edit source]
- Anacharis, Brazilian Elodea, Brazilian Water Weed, Giant Elodea, Canadian Pond Weed, American Water Weed
Synonyms[edit | edit source]
- Egeria densa
Environment Specifics[edit | edit source]
- An aquatic weed. Banned in some countries (and states of USA) due to its rapid growth and clogging of water.
- However it is also a common beginners aquarium plant as it's often to be found on sale very cheaply in pet shops throughout the world. It is a good oxygenator and due to its rapid growth it will reduce levels of Nitrate in the tank.
- Recommended low light, fast growing plant. Can be floated or planted. If floated it makes a good cover for fry. Propagation by lateral shoots.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Known to melt if exposed long term to Seachem's Excel product, bleach, or extended periods of elevated temperatures.
- DO NOT RELEASE THIS PLANT INTO THE WILD!
- Fish that like soft tissue plants love to eat this plant. Research your fish first. Crayfish also will eat this.