Rusty Frogmouth Catfish (Chaca bankanensis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Rusty Frogmouth Catfish
151 Litres (40 US G.)
19-20 cm (7.5-7.9")
6.0 - 7.2
24 -28 °C (75.2-82.4°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Rusty Frogmouth Catfish, Angler Catfish, Chocolate Frogmouth Catfish
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males are larger and longer while females are shorter and more bulky.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- An exclusive carnivore, with a only a stomach to digest protein, thereby lacking intestines to digest carbohydrates, etc. Protein takes a very long time to be completely digested. Prefers scaleless benthic fish (eg. juvenile Clarias spp.) & earthworms to crustaceans/spiny fish.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- It is better to under feed this fish e.g. 2-3 meals weekly, every other day & not more.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- The aquarium should be dimly lit or by utilising floating plants. It should be spacious and well-filtered with plenty of hiding places.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Sedentary & prefers to remain motionless/camouflaged. Nocturnal & somewhat photophobic. An ambush predator with excellent camouflage, rendering it almost invisible in the right setting. Predatory, mainly piscivorous, living off benthic fish that wander to close within it's mouth. Can swallow prey almost as long as itself, but is not aggressive nor territorial by nature. Solitary creatures.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Head-profile from bird's eye view is typically bell-shaped, which tapers off into the rest of the body. Body colour tone is brown, ranging from the colour of dried blood to rusty brown. Rarely mottled/speckled, with a uniform body colouration.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )