Celestial Pearl Danio (Danio margaritatus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Celestial Pearl Danio
38 Litres (10 US G.)
2-2.5cm (0.8-1 ")
5.7 - 7.5
24 -26 °C (75.2-78.8°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Galaxy Rasbora, Fireworks Rasbora, Chilli Rasbora, Celestial Pearl Danio
Additional scientific names
- Microrasbora sp. "Galaxy", Rasbora toei, Celestichthys margaritatus
- Asia: Myanmar
- Males have brighter colours and the male develops slightly dark markings on their barbels. Females have less intense colouration and virtually clear ventral and caudal fins.
- Only discovered in August 2006, due to over collecting this species is now at risk of extinction in the wild. There have been successes in breeding them in captivity and they should now not be purchased without the intention to breed. Very little is known yet about their reproduction but they are egglayers, utilising a breeding mop or vegetation (such as java moss). The adults will eat any eggs or fry they find. The eggs are only slightly adhesive so are not guaranteed to stick to the moss or breeding mop when removed to a fry tank.
- Species tank only, mainly due to their size. Will happily thrive in a well planted small tank. Can be kept with similar sized fish such as Otocinclus, and the smaller Rasboras.
- Mostly seem to prefer small live food such as daphnia and baby brine shrimp. Will also take small pellets or crumbled flakes.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- These fish do well in densely planted mature tanks.
- Males can get in scuffles with each other, therefore keep in large enough mixed groups of male/females of 6 or more to spread this aggression.
- Striking tiny fish, with dark blue flanks covered in tiny yellow spots. Their belly is lighter in colour and their fins are striped with orange and black bands.
|Two males sizing each other up||Young Galaxies curious about the camera|
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )
- Practical Fishkeeping - profile and care 9.11.06
- Practical Fishkeeping - article on renaming 21.1.08
- Danio margaritatus images and their eggs
- Wikipedia on Danio margaritatus
- The "Celestial pearl danio - A new genus and species of colourful minute cyprinid fish from Myanmar (Pisces: Cypriniformes). Raffles Bulletin of Zoology: Roberts, Tyson R. (2007)