Dwarf Pencilfish (Nannostomus marginatus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
57 Litres (15 US G.)
3.2-4.4cm (1.25-1.75 ")
6.8 - 7.5
24 -26 °C (75.2-78.8°F)
- Dwarf Pencilfish
Additional scientific names
- Nannostomus marginatus picturatus
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Adult males are slimmer and may show more red in their fins than the females. These fish are difficult to breed in captivity.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Would do well in a pygmy community tank, but do not keep with fish that could swallow this little fish! Would do well with small Tetras, Rasboras and dwarf Corydoras. Not strictly a shoaling fish, but keep in groups of 3-4 or more.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Omnivores, will take most small foods including crushed flakes or pellets, and small live foods such as daphnia and brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefers a well planted mature tank with good filtration, but not a strong current. They do not appreciate very bright lighting so floating plants are desirable.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Doesn't need to be shoals, but prefers company of 3 or more. A peaceful mid-swimming fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- This fish has two bold horizontal black lines with two white lines accompanying. Red and some yellow on the fins with hints through the body.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )