Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
76 Litres (20 US G.)
53.3-61cm (21-24 ")
7.5 - 8.2
4.4-30°C (40 -86 °F)
This animal is available captive bred
Additional scientific names
- Tilapia nilotica, Sarotherodon niloticus
- Nile river basin down to central Africa, introduced populations worldwide.
- Males, and females are identical
- omnivorous; will eat a variety of food.
- Very adaptable species; can tolerate even brackish conditions.
- A very placid species that is incredibly prolific.
- Standard type is grey; colour varieties have been bred.
- Is a notoriously prolific species like its cousin the Mozambique Tilapia, although it is less cold tolerant than its cousin.