Earth Eater (Satanoperca jurupari)
From The Aquarium Wiki
170 Litres (45 US G.)
18-19.1cm (7.1-7.5 ")
6.3 - 7.4
24 -26 °C (75.2-78.8°F)
- Earth Eater, Demon Eartheater, Demon Fish, Green Horse Face
Additional scientific names
- Geophagus jurupari, Satanoperca jurapari
| This section requires expansion with:
Location where this animal is found in the wild.
- It is not easy to visually sex this fish. Mature males are usually slimmer than females.
- A generally peaceful Cichlid, except if it decides to spawn. Should be kept with similar-sized robust, yet peaceful, fish. Smaller fish may be eaten or hurt if this fish does decide to breed.
- An omnivore that will accept most foods including high quality cichlid pellets, bloodworms, brine shrimp, ghost shrimp and may accept occasional blanched vegetables.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Provide this fish with a spacious mature tank. it is not planted tank safe as it will dig and uproot plants. Substrate should be sand or small gravel and any large pieces of decor must be secure on the base of the tank so they are not dislodged if the fish digs nearby.
- A generally peaceful primarily mid to bottom dwelling Cichlids that dig in the substrate. Will be come territorial and defensive if a pair decide to breed.
- A pale coloured Cichlid with a large sloping head with the mouth located at the bottom of the head while the eyes are near the top. It is mostly yellow-grey in colour with hints of green and blue in certain lights. Fins are mostly translucent with traces of iridescence.
|Eartheater Spawning Activity:|
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )