Target Puffer (Pao leiurus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Tetraodon leiurus)
114 Litres (30 US G.)
12-16 cm (4.7-6.3")
7.0 - 7.5
22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
- Target Puffer, Eyespot Puffer
Additional scientific names
- Tetraodon leiurus
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- This is a highly aggressive fish, it is best in a species tank as a single specimen only.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Feed live and frozen foods, snails, freeze dried krill, frozen shrimp, bloodworms- live or frozen, ghost shrimp (gut-loaded). Once larger, these fish can enjoy clams, crab legs and other seafood counter molluscs. All should be frozen and thawed before being fed to the puffers. These puffers should be fed snails and hard-shelled foods to prevent overgrowth of teeth.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Being a brackish water puffer, they should be fed snails and other mollusks (when bigger) that can handle slight salinity. Ramshorn snails for example as they can tolerate brackish waters are the ideal type of snail. Juveniles should be fed moderately and when approaching adult sizes can be fed between 2-3 days depending on the size and health of the puffer.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- They enjoy a planted tank to engage in and explore. Like all other species of puffer, they should only be kept in a species tank. The tank should be very well filtered, without too much current, as Puffers are messy fish.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Can be very aggressive when approached by other fish and should be kept either alone or with fast swimming fish that mind their own business.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Identification of T. Leiurus can be tricky as they are commonly misidentified as Tetraodon barbatus (Thai Puffer). T. Leiurus has eyes with a silver sheen-like appearance for irises with a red outline. In addition there is a coloured eye/spot near the tail which can range from a purpleish to orange colour. The T. barbatus is similar but lacking in colour.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )