Giant Clam (Tridacna gigas)
From The Aquarium Wiki
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
2271 Litres (600 US G.)
137-118 cm (53.9-46.5")
8.1 - 8.4
22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Indo-Pacific reef slopes.
- Like its other relatives, it is hermaphroditic.
- Position so it can receive enough light
- Photosynthetic algae in tissues provide food. Can also do supplemental feeding.
- A reef tank will do
- Sedentary, like most tridacnids.
- Sports a mantle that is often blue, to blue-green, to green. It is vastly larger than its relatives, making it "the" giant clam.