Chinese Sucker (Myxocyprinus asiaticus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Wimple Carp)
568 Litres (150 US G.)
88.9-101.6cm (35-40 ")
6.0 - 7.5
18 -23 °C (64.4-73.4°F)
- Chinese Sucker, Hi-Fin Banded Shark, Freshwater Bat Fish, Chinese Hi-Fin Banded Shark, Chinese High Fin Sucker, Sailfin Sucker, Topsail Sucker, Asian Sucker, Wimple Carp, Freshwater Batfish, Hilsa Herring, Rough Fish, Entsuyui
Additional scientific names
- Mycocyprinus asiaticus, Carpiodes asiaticus, Myxocyprinus asiaticus asiaticus
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Asia: China (Yangtze River basin).
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Difficult to sex and not known to spawn in captivity due to them rarely reaching maturity.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A shoaling fish that really appreciates company of its own kind. Should only be kept with other temperate peaceful species or in a species tank.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Omnivorous, but primarily vegetarian. Feed with algae wafers, sinking pellets and blanched vegetables.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- A temperate fish rather than tropical, this fish requires very large housing due to it's final adult size, combined with a good current and well oxygenated water.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful bottom-dwelling fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A highly attractive fish when young, with a very tall dorsal fin, pinkish-white base colour with thick vertical black banding and black spotting. The shape of this fish changes and the patternation becomes more dull as the fish matures, an adult fish will be long and rounded with a short dorsal fin and be black-brown in colour.
Species Note[edit | edit source]
- In the UK it is illegal to keep this fish without the appropriate licence. They are illegal to import and are listed under the Prohibition of Keeping or Release of Live Fish (Specified Species) Order 1998.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )