Emerald Cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
246 Litres (65 US G.)
20.3-30.5cm (8-12 ")
5.0 - 7.5
25 -30 °C (77-86°F)
- Emerald Cichlid, Chocolate Cichlid
Additional scientific names
- Acara crassa, Acara temporalis, Astronotus crassa, Cichlasoma arnoldi, Cichlasoma coryphaenoides, Cichlasoma crassa, Cichlasoma goeldii, Cichlasoma hellabrunni, Cichlasoma temporale, Chuco axelrodi, Heros crassa, Heros temporalis
Origin[edit | edit source]
- South America: Amazon River basin, in the Ucayali and Amazon River drainages in Peru, the Amazonas River drainage in Colombia, the Solimôes-Amazon River in Brazil, east to Cametá, also rivers of Amapá, Brazil, and the Oyapock River basin in Brazil.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males are larger than females with elongated fins.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- These fish are best kept in male/female pairs in species tanks. They can be kept with other robust similar-sized South American Cichlids such as Severums and Festivums provided the tank is large.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- An omnivorous Cichlid that will appreciate most foods including pellet and flake as well as brine shrimp, ghost shrimp and daphnia as well as blanched vegetables.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Needs a spacious tank with hiding places in bogwood. Prefers softer water and does not appreciate strong currents nor bright lighting.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A generally peaceful Cichlid for its size, however, will fight with its own kind.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Similar to Hypselecara coryphaenoides. The body is rounded and egg-shaped, it is mottled brown-yellow in colour with large orange to red eyes. The fins range in colour from red to yellow. There is usually a large black mark on the flanks towards the rear of the fish.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )