Channel Catfish (Ictalurus punctatus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
3785 Litres (1000 US G.)
68.6-76.2cm (27-30 ")
6.0 - 8.0
10 -32 °C (50-89.6°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Channel Catfish, Spotted Bluecat
Additional scientific names
- Silurus punctatus
Origin[edit | edit source]
- North America: Central drainages of the United States to southern Canada and northern Mexico.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- This is an exceptionally large fish which should only be kept by those with very large tanks or indoor pond, outdoor ponds are also an option provided winters are not too harsh and it is legal to keep these non-native fish in your country. They do not intentionally bother smaller fish, but can hoover up very small fish or fish fry.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- These big catfish are obligate carnivores but will take plant food as well. They will also take most pellets and flakes as well as thawed frozen food and live prey such as earthworms and fish, and this will get them to the surface so you can see them, they will otherwise spend most of their time on the bottom or prowling around for food.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )