Merry Widow (Phallichthys amates)
From The Aquarium Wiki
76 Litres (20 US G.)
7.6-8.9cm (3-3.5 ")
6.0 - 8.0
24 -27 °C (75.2-80.6°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Merry Widow, Orange Fin Merry Widow
Additional scientific names
- Phallitchys amantes, Poecilia amates, Poecilia pittieri, Poeciliopsis isthmensis
- Endemic to Central America: Atlantic drainages, from southern Guatemala to Costa Rica and Panama
- Males have an oversized gonopodium.
- A peaceful livebearer. Must be kept in the typical livebearer ratio of at least 2-3 females per male. All male groups can be kept.
- Accepts most foods including pellet and flake as well as live/frozen foods such as bloodworm and brine shrimp.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Does best in a spacious and well filtered planted set up.
- A typical peaceful livebearer.
- There are two subspecies: the Orange Fin Merry Widow (Phallichthys amates amates) and the Spotted Merry Widow (Phallichthys amates pittieri). They can be differentiated that the orange-fin has the dorsal fin edged in orange.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )