Red Whiptail Catfish (Rineloricaria sp.)
Red Whiptail Catfish
76 Litres (20 US G.)
7.6-11.4cm (3-4.5 ")
6.5 - 7.2
23.9-28.9°C (75 -84 °F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Red Whiptail Catfish, Red Lizard Catfish, L010a
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males are slender, have whiskers and grow short spines in the top of their heads and pectoral fins.
Breeding[edit | edit source]
- Spawns readily in provided tubes, caves, or like minded contraptions. Due to breeding nonspecificity, just about any open ended tube can be used. As with many loricariines, fry development can be problematic, as they are sensitive to water quality and can be difficult to wean.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- One of the most peaceful catfish around, these can be combined with many other species. In a natural setup good tankmates include small Characins, Apistogramma, Corydoras and other quiet Loricariids, but it can be kept in most communities of peaceful fish. Don't keep it with anything too vigorous or aggressive as it will become very retiring and will easily be out-competed for food. It's not territorial unless spawning, and is best kept in a small group. Bear in mind it does not do well at higher temperatures when selecting tankmates.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Omnivorous and will accept both sinking dried foods, vegetable matter including blanched spinach, courgette, kale etc., and live and frozen stuff such as bloodworm or daphnia. As with most rineloricaria, it is primarily a sand-sifting invertebrate feeder, thus, high protein, low fat foods are recommended.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed at night
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Very sensitive to changing water conditions. The fish should be provided with half-pipe type refuges which also often be used as spawning sites.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Peaceful bottom feeder.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- An elongated Catfish with orange/reddish coloration that has a flattened body and is covered by several rows of bony plates. Its mouth is shaped like a suction cup and is located on the underside of its head.